A634.2.4.RB - Theories of Ethics_SharpMelissa
Consequentialism claims that humans are morally obligated to
act in ways that produce the best consequences; in consequentialism, the interests
of others’ is the primary focus of moral decisions (LaFollette, 2007, p.23).
While rules do matter to the consequentialist, the consequentialist is more concerned
with the overall outcome (LaFollette, 2007, p.24). In contrast deontologists claim
that our moral obligations should drive us, no matter the consequences
(LaFollette, 2007, p.24). Deontologists believe that rules play a fundamental
role in morality, while consequentialists do not (LaFollette, 2007, p.23). In
order to understand both theories, I summed them up in a sentence:
consequentialists believe in morality with exceptions; deontologists believe in
morality without exceptions. Of course,
there is more to each theory than my sentence describes, but the simplified definition
helps me get the gist of each theory.
At first read, I thought I might find my beliefs housed in
consequentialism; however, the more I read and understood each theory, I
clearly see that I am more of a deontologist. Deontologists argue that there
are strict moral limits on what we can do to others; if we only consider the
consequences of our actions, we will eventually act immorally if there are no detrimental
consequences (LaFollette, 2007, p.24). It’s difficult for me to accept consequentialism
as true morality if morality has
exceptions. If I only focus on the consequences of my actions, does it mean
that I capable of anything? For example,
if there were no consequences, it would be “okay” for me to kill someone who murdered
my loved one. Without consequences, we could (would) do horrible things. How is
that true morality? If consequences are the only concern, then what really
makes us moral? I believe that morality must
go beyond our actions (this thought may
remove me from both theories or merge the theories). While deontology emphasizes
“keeping the rules”, without exception, there must be a deeper reason for rule
keeping. So then, I think we must ask the question, “what’s driving our morality?”. Do we really have a desire do/be good because
it makes us feel good? Do we have a desire to do/be good for the sake others? Personally,
my Christian beliefs drive my moral decisions; my beliefs also keep me
grounded. As a Christian, I believe that I answer to God. In answering to God,
I receive guidance from the book of my Faith, the Holy Bible. The Bible provides
guidance as to how I should treat myself and others; therefore, I have a deeper
reason for “keeping the rules”. Because these “rules” are also for the good
others, I do not view them negatively.
Overall, I think I lean toward deontology because its principles
compliment my beliefs. Immanuel Kant
noted that our good must have qualification; however, the only thing that is
good without qualification is “the good will” (LaFollette, 2007, p.33). The
“good will” is doing one’s responsibility because it is one’s responsibility
(LaFollette, 2007, p.33). I believe that my Faith drives me to do my duty;
thus, I suppose I am a deontologist.
LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics.
Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Comments
Post a Comment