A634.7.4.RB - Egoism: Psychological and Moral_SharpMelissa
In reading about psychological egoism and ethical egoism, I am
admittedly confused. LaFollette (2007) noted that psychological egoism is the
theory that everyone’s actions are always self-interested, while ethical egoism
is the theory that people should always and only act to encourage their own
self-interests (p. 272). Maybe it’s me, but even after reading further, I can’t
see the big difference. In other
words, one form of egoism did not seem any better than the other because both
are self-focused. In order to better understand, I watched an Ethical Egoism
presentation for a verbal explanation of the terms (Ethical Egoism, 2016). In the
presentation, the speaker provided the same definitions outlined in the
LaFollette text, along with examples; even with the examples, after re-reading
my text, I am still confused.
Is it correct to say that psychological egoism is selfish,
while ethical egoism looks after self, but is not selfish and when
self-interest is not the motivator, morality may be the reason? If my reasoning
is accurate, I think I understand; however, if my summary is incorrect, I need
clarity. Again, the terms are as follows:
- Psychological egoism- everyone’s actions are always and totally self-interested. (LaFollette, 2007, p. 272)
- Ethical egoism- people should always and only act to promote their own self-interests (LaFollette, 2007, p. 272)
Egoism
When I think of egoism, I generally think of the negative descriptions
that follow; for example, egoism is associated with conceit, pride, self-centeredness,
and any other negative “self” related term. Egoism theory states that one’s
self is, or should be, the motivation behind one’s own action (Moseley, 2019). Based
on the theory’s meaning, those who do nice things for others, for example, are
motivated by self (maybe doing nice
things feels good or maybe there’s a tangible or intangible reward). In
egoism, self-interest is the focus and while there may be a positive spin on egoism,
it still sounds selfish to me.
Ego in the Workplace
Unfortunately, ego in the workplace go hand-in-hand. I have
watched others “save face” by blaming others for their own mistakes; I have
heard managers declare their greatness and reference followers as lower-levelers,
and I have allowed ego to influence some of my decisions. When I think of ego,
I think of pride. When we are prideful, it is hard for us to admit fault, ask
for help, or praise those who are succeeding. Ego can get in the way of ethical
decision-making because our judgement is clouded by selfishness. For example, when judgement is clouded by
pride, we may speak untruths or act in ways that hinder the success of others.
Manager Benefits
There’s a well-known saying that goes, “with the title comes
the responsibility”. Managers are held to a higher standard because they are responsible
for many things. Additionally, when organizational issues arise, the manager is
held accountable. While leading an organization and/or team has its perks, it
is not easy. Therefore, because managers’ responsibilities are so great, there
should be manager-specific benefits. Benefits do not give managers’ the right
to mistreat others; benefits are just an added, “thank you for the load you
carry”,
reward.
Leaders Rewarded to Promote Ethical Behavior
Should the presence of an award prompt a leader to promote
ethical behavior? I think leaders should promote ethics whether they are
rewarded or not. Maybe a reward would motivate
a leader to promote ethical behavior. Still, if a leader is not rewarded, will
he or she promote ethical behavior, or is the promotion of ethical behavior
only contingent on a reward? Instead of
awarding leaders for promoting what they should already be promoting, we could encourage
leaders to promote ethics among their employees. For example, if an employee goes above and beyond to put personal
interests aside for the good of her clients, that is considered ethical
behavior and she should be rewarded (Belcher, 2019). I am not saying that
leaders should not receive awards or recognition; I am saying that leaders are
responsible for promoting ethics without reward.
Belcher, L. M. (2019, February 01). Ways to Promote
Ethical Conduct. Retrieved from Chron:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/ways-promote-ethical-conduct-24132.html
Ethical Egoism. (2016, April 03). Retrieved from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXoGatDZfvI
LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics.
Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, Ltd.
Moseley, A. (2019). Egoism. Retrieved from
Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: https://www.iep.utm.edu/egoism/
Comments
Post a Comment