A634.8.3.RB - Gun Control: What is the Answer?_SharpMelissa

When I was a child, I thought the only people who carried guns in public, were police officers. Having a gun was like having all the power in the world, and only those who were specially trained, could own and operate guns. Now, as an adult, the man in front of me in a Wal-Mart checkout line, casually carries his gun; there are department store security guards who don’t even carry.  I think that the reality of layperson gun ownership really set in when I considered my family; my dad, stepmom, sister, and brother-in-law, all own guns. My dad even took me to a shooting range and recommended a gun that would be the right power and weight, so that I would not be overwhelmed. Though my family and friends keep encouraging me to get a gun, especially as a single female, guns make me extremely uncomfortable. For example, when my brother-in-law accidentally left his gun at my house after a family gathering, instead of meeting him halfway to give him his gun, he came back the next day (three hour one-way drive), to come get it. I probably shouldn’t be that afraid or uncomfortable with guns, but that’s where I am right now. As someone who is inexperienced, I often think, “what if I pick it up the wrong way?” Then I think about all of accidental gun-related deaths, and I’m even more anxious.

Gun Ownership Defense 

Although I am afraid of guns, I believe that citizens have a right to bear arms; however, I believe that there should be limitations on the kinds of guns citizens should have access.  LaFollette (2007) noted that those who want moderate abolition want to forbid access to some subclasses of guns; this is where I stand on the issue (p. 177). Because guns are inherently dangerous, as their sole purpose is to cause harm (LaFollette, 2007, p. 184), citizens should not have access to extra dangerous guns (although any gun is dangerous). In my opinion, should a citizen want access to more dangerous firearms, the following should be reviewed:
  • His/her background (criminal record, etc.)
  • Mental health
  • Primary reason for purchase
  • Certificates & training for specified firearms

I understand that a review will not stop someone from harming themselves or others; however, I do think additional requirements and further examination may turn away corrupt candidates.

Still, no matter the kind of gun, the act of shooting a gun comes from a person, a person who understands that harm will befall whoever she shoots. LaFollette (2007) admonished that we must be careful when we say that guns cause harm; guns kill because people use them to kill or misuse them in ways that cause death (p. 183). As I mentioned earlier, even though I don’t think guns are bad, I am afraid of them. Guns should not be banned just because I am afraid; I need gun safety education to abate my fears. 95% of all US gun holders believe that kids should learn about gun safety, and that people need more gun education and mental illness screenings (Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?, 2019). Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) noted that a responsible, knowledgeable gun owner is rarely involved in a firearms accident of any kind, whether they are at a gun range, the field, or at home (Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?, 2019). When teaching others about guns, emphasis should be placed on the protection and safety they give, not the promotion of their goodness or badness; like swimming pools or household poisons, guns should be seen as a part of everyday life (Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?, 2019).

On the Other Hand…

Gun are objects and objects do no evil; however, not all objects are created equally (LaFollette, 2007. p. 183). Guns are inherently dangerous and were designed to cause, and threaten, harm (Singer et al., 1956 as cited by LaFollette, 2007, p. 184); sometimes, gun-harm occurs accidentally. For example, approximately 50% of accidental fatal shootings were self-inflicted and most unintentional firearm deaths were caused by friends and family members (Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?, 2019). Professor of Psychology, Marjorie Sanfilippo, PhD, noted that we have proved that we cannot gun proof children with education; therefore, adults have a responsibility to keep guns out of children’s hands (Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?, 2019). In addition to the accidental deaths caused by gun-violence, there is positive correlation between intentional homicide rates and gun availability (LaFollette, 2007, p. 189).  LaFollette (2007) noted that “the more widely available guns (especially handguns) are, the more people are murdered” (p. 189). Therefore, gun control is needed to prevent gun-related murders. Between 1999 and 2013, there were a total of 464,033 total gun deaths; 270,237 of those deaths were suicide; 174,773 of those deaths were homicides, and 9,983 of those deaths were unintentional (Should More gun Control Laws Be Enacted?, 2019). Had there been stricter gun control laws, some of those deaths may have been prevented.

The End

LaFollette (2007) noted that the best gun control could be holding all gun owners strictly liable for harm caused by the use of their gun (p. 194). For example, if someone takes my gun and commits a crime with it, I am held responsible for that action in some way (LaFollette, 2007, p. 194). LaFollette (2007) noted that this process may cause a decline in gun ownership and those who own guns, would likely take greater measures in using and storing their guns (p. 195). Overall, I think citizens should have a right to gun ownership, but there should definitely be strict regulations; after all, guns are inherently dangerous (LaFollette, 2007, p. 184) and the gravity of that information should evoke precautions.




LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.



Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted? (2019, March 25). Retrieved from ProCon.Org: https://gun-control.procon.org/

Comments